Monday, July 21, 2008

Radio host Michael Savage blames parents for Autism

On July 16 2008, radio talk show host stated on his program "the Savage Nation" "I’ll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it’s a brat who hasn’t been told to cut the act out. That’s what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they’re silent? They don’t have a father around to tell them, ‘Don’t act like a moron. You’ll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don’t sit there crying and screaming, idiot.’”

I am 100% for free speech and Savage's right to say that, as I have a right to call his sponsors and ask them to pull sponsorship, which many of the parents of children with autism have done. Today Home Depot and Aflac have dropped sponsorship of the Savage Nation after numerous calls from angry parents and advocacy groups, and more are sure to follow. You can listen to Savage's outrageous comment here.



Autism is not a behavioral problem, it is a developmental disorder. Whether Savage is ignorant or is just stirring up controversy for ratings makes no difference to me. I view his comments as not only offensive, but an attack on the parents of children with autism, parents who have enough to deal with without having a shock jock with a soapbox spread vile theories that have been disproved since the 1980's. For the first time in my life I called a sponsor of a media program and asked them to pull sponsorship from a program. It was easier than I thought it would be, and I am going to do it again tomorrow.

Here is the number for Budweiser, one of his biggest sponsors.
1-800-342-5283
Just explain that you were angered by his comments, and ask them to pull sponsorship. When I called they said they would consider it.

No comments: