Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Don't Start The Revolution Without Me: Review

Yes, I read a lot of comic books but sometimes I do read regular books. The latest one is Jesse Ventura's "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


I was expecting Jesse to lay out why we need a revolution (political), and why the time for one is now. What I got was memories of his time as governor of Minnesota, what he has been up to since then, and why the Baja of Mexico is a beautiful place. Even so, it's not bad. Jesse has a way of communicating with the people by using what most politicians lack, which is straight talk, and it comes across in his writing. Even on the issues I disagree with him on, after reading his book I understand why he takes the positions he does.

On the talk show circuit, a big deal was made about Jesse coming out on not believing the official story on 911. Surprisingly it's not one of the main themes in the book. He does talk about the Gulf of Tonkin incident, (Which is now admitted to as a sham), and the Kennedy assassination.

It was interesting to read about his meetings with other famous people like Muhammad Ali and Fidel Castro. I was surprised to read that he is good friends with Al Gore and that he supports a global warming tax.

He touches upon his dislike of the media, mostly due to the character assassination that was done on his son, who is now a personal assistant to actor Sean Penn. It was his son that got him to question the official story of 911, which makes me wonder if Penn is also a 911 truther. He also leaves no doubt on how he feels about the destruction of our civil liberties.

Just when I was wondering how he was going to end it, Jesse gives us an alternate universe ending! An incredible fictional 2008 run for the presidency. I won't spoil the surprise ending, but it's a shocker.

All in all, it was a good read.

No comments: