Friday, November 21, 2008

Automaker Bailout Denied

The big three American automakers went to the tax payers with their hands out, and they were sent away empty handed.

I believe in the free market, which means I don't think we should subsidize millionaires, but yet.....

I used to work for the largest Ford Auto dealer in the United States. My Sales director met with the head of Ford, and he came back with this story which I will now share with all of you. (I don't remember it exactly, so I will paraphrase.)

An ad man for a large national newspaper met with the head of Ford, trying to get his advertising business. The head of Ford (I don't remember his name) said "I would like to buy some advertising from you, but let me show you something." He then pulled out a copy of the ad person's newspaper and pointed to a section on the front page about a 50,000 vehicle Ford part recall.

The ad man then said "Yea, so?"

The head of Ford then turned to page thirty of the paper which mentioned a million vehicle Toyota part recall. "You do something about this, then I will buy some advertising from you."

"But that's not my department! I'm in advertising, That's different!"

"Not to me it's not."

There has been a media bias against American made vehicles for many years now, and the chickens are coming home to roost. I know it's not all the media's fault, but it certainly didn't help.

If I was a 'conspiracy theorist", I would say it's part of a plot to crash America's economy.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I like your post Ed, but Grrrrr! i am so tired of this game! America, the EU, the worldwide economy--all seems to be an obviously rigged game from the start. I hope we solve this insanity soon!

Ed said...

You have a right to be angry. I'm upset by it as well. I can't think of any solution other than to keep posting the truth and hope more join us.