Friday, May 29, 2009

Cooking Outdoors

Summer is here, and I love it. I love the smell of fresh cut grass, watching baseball with a cold beverage in my hand, and I love cooking outside.

There is something primordial about cooking outside that I just can't put my finger on. Perhaps it’s just something that is left over from the instinct of man, when food was hunted and not bought. Although I must admit there is something fascinating about watching your food cook on an open flame, I would still not wish to travel back to pre-historic times due to the fact that they didn’t have barbecue sauce. If you are looking for a state of the art outdoor kitchen, check out these cal flame bbq islands.

There is also great fun to be had sitting around an open fire and having a couple of cold beverages while the kids roast hot dogs and marshmallows. However, in many places you are required by law to have a fire pit if you are going to have a fire outdoors. Since wildfires can destroy a large part of the forest, I can understand why they have this policy. Fire pits come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and I hope to get one for the family before the summer is over. Having a fire pit will help me save up some ash for the garden next year.

No comments: