Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Best uses of a Checkerboard Pattern in a Comic Book

In the late sixties, D.C. Comics put it on every cover. Pied Piper of Pluto? What, is he going to like lead the snakes out of Hades or something? An why is he fighting Ultra the Muti Alien? Doesn't he usually dance with Mercury/Flash?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The pattern makes a fetching jester's hat. I wonder why the king and jester are sharing the same eye? Gold Key eh?


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Issue 17 of Love Romances. Poor Elaine Mars, I mean Marsh. Nice shop floor though. I wonder why they have shirts behind glass with an obelisk overtop of it? No Smoking? What a bummer!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nice beach towel Archie!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If I ever go to space, I want a helmet just like this one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments:

Michael Skaggs said...

Nice!! Great spots, wow, you came up with an eclectic group! When I was looking at the Archie one, it was just so laced with sexual subliminal, so I have to go back to the reference, in my opinion of course respectfully, I made on the checkerboard post about that patten must access the subconscious mind easily, maybe it bypasses certain filters we have ocularly? It begins to make more sense if they are setting the brain up to be more receptive to these "stories", hence why comic book addiction can be so powerful.

Nice one.
Be well.

Michael Skaggs said...

Also, her leg on the cover, the bent one seems to have a solar symbol there or "solar eye", the Frisbees path makes a nice "spiral" too.

Ed said...

Hi Michael. Yea, it could be a path to the subconscious. I had someone tell me it's a chessboard with 65 squares, 64 on the board and the board itself counts as one. This doesn't explain why it is found in some ancient Egypt artwork, so I am starting to believe your analysis may be correct. Nice catch on the Archie cover.

Michael Skaggs said...

Yes those "Snakey" Egyptian priests were some of the best at brain washing their adepts into "believing" those vengeful, wrathful "gods" were coming.

Right, I forgot the board counted as one. Did you see one of the comments made on the pattern post I did? About if you concentrate (stare) at a chessboard, eventually a single cube rises from the center(?). Granted I have not tried this, but it made me think of those whacky 3-D pictures where if you off-center your vision, the 3d image pops out at you.

Later man!

Ed said...

I must have missed it, but it is interesting. I think Jake said in one of his videos the cube is a stargate to higher consciousness or something like that.